This evidence summary on cancer was written by:
William B. Grant, Ph.D.
Sunlight, Nutrition, and Health Research Center (SUNARC)
P.O. Box 641603
San Francisco, CA 94164-1603, USA
The summary was reviewed by:
Cedric F. Garland <email@example.com>
Edward Giovannucci <EGIOVANN@hsph.harvard.edu>
Robert P. Heaney <firstname.lastname@example.org>
For further about the methodology used to produce the evidence-based summaries on this website, please visit the About this site section.
Complete bibliography of research used in this summary
We found a significant body of evidence when researching the role of vitamin D in cancer. The research we have cited in our summary is listed below, with links to PubMed abstracts and full-text for those who wish to explore further. 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940414243444546474849505152535455565758596061626364656667686970717273747576777879808182838485868736
Page last edited: 04 May 2011
- Abnet, C. C. Chen, Y. Chow, W. H. Gao, Y. T. Helzlsouer, K. J. Le Marchand, L. McCullough, M. L. Shikany, J. M. Virtamo, J. Weinstein, S. J. Xiang, Y. B. Yu, K. Zheng, W. Albanes, D. Arslan, A. A. Campbell, D. S. Campbell, P. T. Hayes, R. B. Horst, R. L. Kolonel, L. N. Nomura, A. M. Purdue, M. P. Snyder, K. Shu, X. O. Circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D and risk of esophageal and gastric cancer: Cohort Consortium Vitamin D Pooling Project of Rarer Cancers. Am J Epidemiol. 2010 Jul 1; 172 (1): 94-106.
- Bao, Y. Ng, K. Wolpin, B. M. Michaud, D. S. Giovannucci, E. Fuchs, C. S. Predicted vitamin D status and pancreatic cancer risk in two prospective cohort studies. Br J Cancer. 2010 Apr 27; 102 (9): 1422-7.
- Boscoe, F. P. Schymura, M. J. Solar ultraviolet-B exposure and cancer incidence and mortality in the United States, 1993-2002. BMC Cancer. 2006; 6264.
- Bosetti, C. Scotti, L. Maso, L. D. Talamini, R. Montella, M. Negri, E. Ramazzotti, V. Franceschi, S. La Vecchia, C. Micronutrients and the risk of renal cell cancer: a case-control study from Italy. Int J Cancer. 2007 Feb 15; 120 (4): 892-6.
- Boucher, B. J. “Inverse correlation between serum free IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 levels and blood pressure in patients affected with type 1 diabetes” by Capoluongo et al. Cytokine. 2007 Mar; 37 (3): 181-2; author reply 183-4.
- Brittingham, A. de la Cruz, G. P. Ancestry 2000. Census 2000 Brief CK2BR-35. 2004;
- Carmeliet P. VEGF as a key mediator of angiogenesis in cancer. Oncology. 2005; 69 (Supp 3): 4-10.
- Chen, P. Hu, P. Xie, D. Qin, Y. Wang, F. Wang, H. Meta-analysis of vitamin D, calcium and the prevention of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010 Jun; 121 (2): 469-77.
- Chen, W. Dawsey, S. M. Qiao, Y. L. Mark, S. D. Dong, Z. W. Taylor, P. R. Zhao, P. Abnet, C. C. Prospective study of serum 25(OH)-vitamin D concentration and risk of oesophageal and gastric cancers. Br J Cancer. 2007 Jul 2; 97 (1): 123-8.
- De Hertog, S. A. Wensveen, C. A. Bastiaens, M. T. Kielich, C. J. Berkhout, M. J. Westendorp, R. G. Vermeer, B. J. Bouwes Bavinck, J. N. Relation between smoking and skin cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2001 Jan 1; 19 (1): 231-8.
- Devesa, S. S. Grauman, D. J. Blot, W. J. Pennello, G. A. Hoover, R. N. Fraumeni, J. F. Jr. Atlas of Cancer Mortality in the United States, 1950-1994. NIH Publication No. 99-4564. 1999 November 8, 2008;
- Douglas, J. B. Silverman, D. T. Pollak, M. N. Tao, Y. Soliman, A. S. Stolzenberg-Solomon, R. Z. Serum IGF-I, IGF-II, IGFBP-3, and IGF-I/IGFBP-3 molar ratio and risk of pancreatic cancer in the prostate, lung, colorectal, and ovarian cancer screening trial. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010 Sep; 19 (9): 2298-306.
- Drake, M. T. Maurer, M. J. Link, B. K. Habermann, T. M. Ansell, S. M. Micallef, I. N. Kelly, J. L. Macon, W. R. Nowakowski, G. S. Inwards, D. J. Johnston, P. B. Singh, R. J. Allmer, C. Slager, S. L. Weiner, G. J. Witzig, T. E. Cerhan, J. R. Vitamin D insufficiency and prognosis in non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Sep 20; 28 (27): 4191-8.
- Freedman, D. M. Dosemeci, M. McGlynn, K. Sunlight and mortality from breast, ovarian, colon, prostate, and non-melanoma skin cancer: a composite death certificate based case-control study. Occup Environ Med. 2002 Apr; 59 (4): 257-62.
- Friedrich, N. Haring, R. Nauck, M. Lüdemann, J. Rosskopf, D. Spilcke-Liss, E. Felix, S. B. Dörr, M. Brabant, G. Völzke, H. Wallaschofski, H. Mortality and serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF binding protein 3 concentrations. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009; 94 (5): 1732-9.
- Gandini, S. Boniol, M. Haukka, J. Byrnes, G. Cox, B. Sneyd, M. J. Mullie, P. Autier, P. Meta-analysis of observational studies of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and colorectal, breast and prostate cancer and colorectal adenoma. Int J Cancer. 2010 May 6;
- Garland, C. F. Garland, F. C. Do sunlight and vitamin D reduce the likelihood of colon cancer?. Int J Epidemiol. 1980 Sep; 9 (3): 227-31.
- Garland, C. F. Garland, F. C. Gorham, E. D. Lipkin, M. Newmark, H. Mohr, S. B. Holick, M. F. The role of vitamin D in cancer prevention. Am J Public Health. 2006 Feb; 96 (2): 252-61.
- Garland, C. F. Gorham, E. D. Mohr, S. B. Garland, F. C. Vitamin D for cancer prevention: global perspective. Ann Epidemiol. 2009 Jul; 19 (7): 468-83.
- Garland, C. F. Mohr, S. B. Gorham, E. D. Grant, W. B. Garland, F. C. Role of ultraviolet B irradiance and vitamin D in prevention of ovarian cancer. Am J Prev Med. 2006 Dec; 31 (6): 512-4.
- Giovannucci, E. Epidemiology of vitamin D and colorectal cancer: casual or causal link?. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2010 Jul; 121 (1-2): 349-54.
- Giovannucci, E. Liu, Y. Rimm, E. B. Hollis, B. W. Fuchs, C. S. Stampfer, M. J. Willett, W. C. Prospective study of predictors of vitamin D status and cancer incidence and mortality in men. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006 Apr 5; 98 (7): 451-9.
- Goodwin, P. J. Ennis, M. Pritchard, K. I. Koo, J. Hood, N. Frequency of vitamin D (Vit D) deficiency at breast cancer (BC) diagnosis and association with risk of distant recurrence and death in a prospective cohort study of T1-3, N0-1, M0 BC. J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26 (May 20 suppl): abstr 511.
- Grant, W. B. An estimate of premature cancer mortality in the U.S. due to inadequate doses of solar ultraviolet-B radiation. Cancer. 2002 Mar 15; 94 (6): 1867-75.
- Grant, W. B. The likely role of vitamin D from solar ultraviolet-B irradiance in increasing cancer survival. Anticancer Res. 2006 Jul-Aug; 26 (4A): 2605-14.
- Grant, W. B. An ecologic study of cancer mortality rates in Spain with respect to indices of solar UVB irradiance and smoking. Int J Cancer. 2007 Mar 1; 120 (5): 1123-8.
- Grant, W. B. An ecological study of cancer mortality rates including indices for dietary iron and zinc. Anticancer Res. 2008 May-Jun; 28 (3B): 1955-63.
- Grant, W. B. A critical review of Vitamin D and cancer: A report of the IARC Working Group on vitamin D. Dermato-endocrinology. 2009; 1 (1): 25-33.
- Grant, W. B. Air pollution in relation to U.S. cancer mortality rates: an ecological study; likely role of carbonaceous aerosols and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Anticancer Res. 2009 Sep; 29 (9): 3537-45.
- Grant, W. B. Critique of the U-shaped serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level-disease response relation. Dermato-endocrinology. 2009 Nov.-Dec.; 1 (6): 281-315.
- Grant, W. B. A multicountry ecological study of risk-modifying factors for prostate cancer: apolipoprotein E epsilon4 as a risk factor and cereals as a risk reduction factor. Anticancer Res. 2010 Jan; 30 (1): 189-99.
- Grant, W. B. Relation between prediagnostic serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level and incidence of breast, colorectal, and other cancers. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2010 May 12;
- Grant, W. B. Cancer risk ecological study in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, provides strong support for the ultraviolet B-vitamin D-cancer hypothesis. J Occup Med Toxicol. 2010 19 July 2010; 19 July 2010
- Grant, W. B. Garland, C. F. A critical review of studies on vitamin D in relation to colorectal cancer. Nutr Cancer. 2004; 48 (2): 115-23.
- Grant, W. B. Garland, C. F. The association of solar ultraviolet B (UVB) with reducing risk of cancer: multifactorial ecologic analysis of geographic variation in age-adjusted cancer mortality rates. Anticancer Res. 2006 Jul-Aug; 26 (4A): 2687-99.
- Grant, W. B. An ecological study of cancer incidence and mortality rates in France with respect to latitude, an index for vitamin D production. Deramato-Endocrinology. 2010 Apr; 2 (2): 62-67.
- Grant, W. B. Mohr, S. B. Ecological studies of ultraviolet B, vitamin D and cancer since 2000. Ann Epidemiol. 2009 Jul; 19 (7): 446-54.
- Hathcock, J. N. Shao, A. Vieth, R. Heaney, R. Risk assessment for vitamin D. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Jan; 85 (1): 6-18.
- Helzlsouer, K. J. Overview of the Cohort Consortium Vitamin D Pooling Project of Rarer Cancers. Am J Epidemiol. 2010 Jul 1; 172 (1): 4-9.
- Hill, A. B. The Environment and Disease: Association or Causation?. Proc R Soc Med. 1965 May; 58295-300.
- Holt, S. K. Kwon, E. M. Koopmeiners, J. S. Lin, D. W. Feng, Z. Ostrander, E. A. Peters, U. Stanford, J. L. Vitamin D pathway gene variants and prostate cancer prognosis. Prostate. 2010 Sep 15; 70 (13): 1448-60.
- Hughes, A. M. Armstrong, B. K. Vajdic, C. M. Turner, J. Grulich, A. E. Fritschi, L. Milliken, S. Kaldor, J. Benke, G. Kricker, A. Sun exposure may protect against non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a case-control study. Int J Cancer. 2004 Dec 10; 112 (5): 865-71.
- Hypponen, E. Boucher, B. J. Berry, D. J. Power, C. 25-hydroxyvitamin D, IGF-1, and metabolic syndrome at 45 years of age: a cross-sectional study in the 1958 British Birth Cohort. Diabetes. 2008 Feb; 57 (2): 298-305.
- Hypponen, E. Power, C. Hypovitaminosis D in British adults at age 45 y: nationwide cohort study of dietary and lifestyle predictors. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Mar; 85 (3): 860-8.
- IARC Vitamin D and Cancer. IARC Working Group Reports. 2008; 5465 pp.
- Ingraham, B. A. Bragdon, B. Nohe, A. Molecular basis of the potential of vitamin D to prevent cancer. Curr Med Res Opin. 2008 Jan; 24 (1): 139-49.
- Iso, H. Ikeda, A. Inoue, M. Sato, S. Tsugane, S. Serum cholesterol levels in relation to the incidence of cancer: The JPHC Study Cohorts. Int J Cancer. 2009 Jun 19;
- Kricker, A. Armstrong, B. K. Hughes, A. M. Goumas, C. Smedby, K. E. Zheng, T. Spinelli, J. J. De Sanjose, S. Hartge, P. Melbye, M. Willett, E. V. Becker, N. Chiu, B. C. Cerhan, J. R. Maynadie, M. Staines, A. Cocco, P. Boffeta, P. Personal sun exposure and risk of non Hodgkin lymphoma: a pooled analysis from the Interlymph Consortium. Int J Cancer. 2008 Jan 1; 122 (1): 144-54.
- Krishnan, A. V. Trump, D. L. Johnson, C. S. Feldman, D. The role of vitamin D in cancer prevention and treatment. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2010 Jun; 39 (2): 401-18, table of contents.
- Lamprecht, S. A. Lipkin, M. Chemoprevention of colon cancer by calcium, vitamin D and folate: molecular mechanisms. Nat Rev Cancer. 2003 Aug; 3 (8): 601-14.
- Launoy, G. Milan, C. Day, N. E. Pienkowski, M. P. Gignoux, M. Faivre, J. Diet and squamous-cell cancer of the oesophagus: a French multicentre case-control study. Int J Cancer. 1998 Mar 30; 76 (1): 7-12.
- Lim, U. Freedman, D. M. Hollis, B. W. Horst, R. L. Purdue, M. P. Chatterjee, N. Weinstein, S. J. Morton, L. M. Schatzkin, A. Virtamo, J. Linet, M. S. Hartge, P. Albanes, D. A prospective investigation of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and risk of lymphoid cancers. Int J Cancer. 2009 Feb 15; 124 (4): 979-86.
- Major, J. M. Laughlin, G. A. Kritz-Silverstein, D. Wingard, D. L. Barrett-Connor, E. Insulin-like growth factor-I and cancer mortality in older men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Mar; 95 (3): 1054-9.
- Michaelsson, K. Baron, J. A. Snellman, G. Gedeborg, R. Byberg, L. Sundstrom, J. Berglund, L. Arnlov, J. Hellman, P. Blomhoff, R. Wolk, A. Garmo, H. Holmberg, L. Melhus, H. Plasma vitamin D and mortality in older men: a community-based prospective cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Oct; 92 (4): 841-8.
- Michaelsson, K. Lithell, H. Vessby, B. Melhus, H. Serum retinol levels and the risk of fracture. N Engl J Med. 2003 Jan 23; 348 (4): 287-94.
- Mizoue T. Ecological study of solar radiation and cancer mortality in Japan. Health Phys. 2004 Nov; 87 (5): 532-8.
- Mohr, S. B. A brief history of vitamin d and cancer prevention. Ann Epidemiol. 2009 Feb; 19 (2): 79-83.
- Mohr, S. B. Garland, C. F. Gorham, E. D. Grant, W. B. Garland, F. C. Is ultraviolet B irradiance inversely associated with incidence rates of endometrial cancer: an ecological study of 107 countries. Prev Med. 2007 Nov; 45 (5): 327-31.
- Mohr, S. B. Garland, C. F. Gorham, E. D. Grant, W. B. Garland, F. C. Could ultraviolet B irradiance and vitamin D be associated with lower incidence rates of lung cancer?. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2008 Jan; 62 (1): 69-74.
- Mohr, S. B. Garland, C. F. Gorham, E. D. Grant, W. B. Garland, F. C. Relationship between low ultraviolet B irradiance and higher breast cancer risk in 107 countries. Breast J. 2008 May-Jun; 14 (3): 255-60.
- Mohr, S. B. Garland, C. F. Gorham, E. D. Grant, W. B. Garland, F. C. Ultraviolet B irradiance and incidence rates of bladder cancer in 174 countries. Am J Prev Med. 2010 Mar; 38 (3): 296-302.
- Mohr, S. B. Garland, C. F. Gorham, E. D. Grant, W. B. Garland, F. C. Ultraviolet B irradiance and vitamin D status are inversely associated with incidence rates of pancreatic cancer worldwide. Pancreas. 2010 Jul; 39 (5): 669-74.
- Mohr, S. B. Gorham, E. D. Garland, C. F. Grant, W. B. Garland, F. C. Are low ultraviolet B and high animal protein intake associated with risk of renal cancer?. Int J Cancer. 2006 Dec 1; 119 (11): 2705-9.
- Neale, R. E. Youlden, D. R. Krnjacki, L. Kimlin, M. G. van der Pols, J. C. Latitude variation in pancreatic cancer mortality in Australia. Pancreas. 2009 May; 38 (4): 387-90.
- Newton-Bishop, J. A. Beswick, S. Randerson-Moor, J. Chang, Y. M. Affleck, P. Elliott, F. Chan, M. Leake, S. Karpavicius, B. Haynes, S. Kukalizch, K. Whitaker, L. Jackson, S. Gerry, E. Nolan, C. Bertram, C. Marsden, J. Elder, D. E. Barrett, J. H. Bishop, D. T. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 levels are associated with breslow thickness at presentation and survival from melanoma. J Clin Oncol. 2009 Nov 10; 27 (32): 5439-44.
- Ng, A. C. Kumar, S. K. Rajkumar, S. V. Drake, M. T. Impact of vitamin D deficiency on the clinical presentation and prognosis of patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma. Am J Hematol. 2009 Jul; 84 (7): 397-400.
- Ng, K. Wolpin, B. M. Meyerhardt, J. A. Wu, K. Chan, A. T. Hollis, B. W. Giovannucci, E. L. Stampfer, M. J. Willett, W. C. Fuchs, C. S. Prospective study of predictors of vitamin D status and survival in patients with colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer. 2009 Sep 15; 101 (6): 916-23.
- Peterlik, M. Grant, W. B. Cross, H. S. Calcium, vitamin D and cancer. Anticancer Res. 2009 Sep; 29 (9): 3687-98.
- Polesel, J. Talamini, R. Montella, M. Parpinel, M. Dal Maso, L. Crispo, A. Crovatto, M. Spina, M. La Vecchia, C. Franceschi, S. Linoleic acid, vitamin D and other nutrient intakes in the risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: an Italian case-control study. Ann Oncol. 2006 Apr; 17 (4): 713-8.
- Rhee, H. V. Coebergh, J. W. Vries, E. D. Sunlight, vitamin D and the prevention of cancer: a systematic review of epidemiological studies. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2009 Aug 26;
- Rheem, D. S. Baylink, D. J. Olafsson, S. Jackson, C. S. Walter, M. H. Prevention of colorectal cancer with vitamin D. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2010 Aug; 45 (7-8): 775-84.
- Salazar-Martinez, E. Lazcano-Ponce, E. Sanchez-Zamorano, L. M. Gonzalez-Lira, G. Escudero, D. E. Los Rios P. Hernandez-Avila, M. Dietary factors and endometrial cancer risk. Results of a case-control study in Mexico. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2005 Sep-Oct; 15 (5): 938-45.
- Salazar-Martinez, E. Lazcano-Ponce, E. C. Gonzalez Lira-Lira, G. Escudero-De los Rios, P. Hernandez-Avila, M. Nutritional determinants of epithelial ovarian cancer risk: a case-control study in Mexico. Oncology. 2002; 63 (2): 151-7.
- Seidler, A. Hammer, G. P. Husmann, G. Konig, J. Krtschil, A. Schmidtmann, I. Blettner, M. Cancer risk among residents of Rhineland-Palatinate winegrowing communities: a cancer-registry based ecological study. J Occup Med Toxicol. 2008; 312.
- Toriola, A. T. Surcel, H. M. Calypse, A. Grankvist, K. Luostarinen, T. Lukanova, A. Pukkala, E. Lehtinen, M. Independent and joint effects of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and calcium on ovarian cancer risk: A prospective nested case-control study. Eur J Cancer. 2010 Jun 18;
- Tretli S, Hernes E, Berg JP, Hestvik UE, Robsahm TE. Association between serum 25(OH)D and death from prostate cancer. Br J Cancer. 2009 Feb; 100 (3): 450-4.
- Skinner HG, Michaud DS, Giovannucci E, Willett WC, Colditz GA, Fuchs CS. Vitamin D intake and the risk of pancreatic cancer in two cohort studies. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prevention. 2006 Sept; 15 (9): 1688-1695.
- Trivedi, D. P. Doll, R. Khaw, K. T. Effect of four monthly oral vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) supplementation on fractures and mortality in men and women living in the community: randomised double blind controlled trial. BMJ. 2003 Mar 1; 326 (7387): 469.
- Tuohimaa, P. Pukkala, E. Scelo, G. Olsen, J. H. Brewster, D. H. Hemminki, K. Tracey, E. Weiderpass, E. Kliewer, E. V. Pompe-Kirn, V. McBride, M. L. Martos, C. Chia, K. S. Tonita, J. M. Jonasson, J. G. Boffetta, P. Brennan, P. Does solar exposure, as indicated by the non-melanoma skin cancers, protect from solid cancers: vitamin D as a possible explanation. Eur J Cancer. 2007 Jul; 43 (11): 1701-12.
- van Bunderen, C. C. van Nieuwpoort, I. C. van Schoor, N. M. Deeg, D. J. Lips, P. Drent, M. L. The association of serum insulin-like growth factor-I with mortality, cardiovascular disease, and cancer in the elderly: A population-based study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010; 95 (10): 4616-24.
- Weed, D. L. Gorelic, L. S. The practice of causal inference in cancer epidemiology. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 1996 Apr; 5 (4): 303-11.
- Weedon-Fekjaer H, Lindqvist BH, Vatten LJ, Aalen OO, Tretli S. Breast cancer tumor growth estimated through mammography screening data. Breast Cancer Res. 2008; 10 (3):
- Wei, E. K. Ma, J. Pollak, M. N. Rifai, N. Fuchs, C. S. Hankinson, S. E. Giovannucci, E. A prospective study of C-peptide, insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1, and the risk of colorectal cancer in women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005 Apr; 14 (4): 850-5.
- Yin, L. Grandi, N. Raum, E. Haug, U. Arndt, V. Brenner, H. Meta-analysis: longitudinal studies of serum vitamin D and colorectal cancer risk. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2009 Jul 1; 30 (2): 113-25.
- Yin, L. Grandi, N. Raum, E. Haug, U. Arndt, V. Brenner, H. Meta-analysis: serum vitamin D and breast cancer risk. Eur J Cancer. 2010 Aug; 46 (12): 2196-205.
- Zheng, S. Vuitton, L. Sheyhidin, I. Vuitton, D. A. Zhang, Y. Lu, X. Northwestern China: a place to learn more on oesophageal cancer. Part one: behavioural and environmental risk factors. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010 Aug; 22 (8): 917-25.
- Zhou, W. Heist, R. S. Liu, G. Asomaning, K. Neuberg, D. S. Hollis, B. W. Wain, J. C. Lynch, T. J. Giovannucci, E. Su, L. Christiani, D. C. Circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels predict survival in early-stage non-small-cell lung cancer patients. J Clin Oncol. 2007 Feb 10; 25 (5): 479-85.