This evidence summary was written by:
William B. Grant, Ph.D.
Sunlight, Nutrition, and Health Research Center (SUNARC)
P.O. Box 641603
San Francisco, CA 94164-1603, USA
The summary was reviewed by:
Wanqing Chen <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Complete bibliography of research used in this summary
We found a significant body of evidence when researching the role of vitamin D in esophageal cancer. The research we have cited in our summary is listed below, with links to PubMed abstracts and full-text for those who wish to explore further.
Page last edited: 22 August 2011
- Abnet, C. C. Chen, Y. Chow, W. H. Gao, Y. T. Helzlsouer, K. J. Le Marchand, L. McCullough, M. L. Shikany, J. M. Virtamo, J. Weinstein, S. J. Xiang, Y. B. Yu, K. Zheng, W. Albanes, D. Arslan, A. A. Campbell, D. S. Campbell, P. T. Hayes, R. B. Horst, R. L. Kolonel, L. N. Nomura, A. M. Purdue, M. P. Snyder, K. Shu, X. O. Circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D and risk of esophageal and gastric cancer: Cohort Consortium Vitamin D Pooling Project of Rarer Cancers. Am J Epidemiol. 2010 Jul 1; 172 (1): 94-106.
- Amsel, J. Waterbor, J. W. Oler, J. Rosenwaike, I. Marshall, K. Relationship of site-specific cancer mortality rates to altitude. Carcinogenesis. 1982; 3 (5): 461-5.
- Blumthaler, M. Ambach, W. Rehwald, W. Solar UV-A and UV-B radiation fluxes at two Alpine stations at different altitudes. Theoretical and Applied Climatology. 1992; 46 (1): 39-44.
- Boscoe, F. P. Schymura, M. J. Solar ultraviolet-B exposure and cancer incidence and mortality in the United States, 1993-2002. BMC Cancer. 2006; 6264.
- Chen, W. Clements, M. Rahman, B. Zhang, S. Qiao, Y. Armstrong, B. K. Relationship between cancer mortality/incidence and ambient ultraviolet B irradiance in China. Cancer Causes Control. 2010 Jun 16;
- Chen, W. Dawsey, S. M. Qiao, Y. L. Mark, S. D. Dong, Z. W. Taylor, P. R. Zhao, P. Abnet, C. C. Prospective study of serum 25(OH)-vitamin D concentration and risk of oesophageal and gastric cancers. Br J Cancer. 2007 Jul 2; 97 (1): 123-8.
- Devesa, S. S. Grauman, D. J. Blot, W. J. Pennello, G. A. Hoover, R. N. Fraumeni, J. F. Jr. Atlas of Cancer Mortality in the United States, 1950-1994. NIH Publication No. 99-4564. 1999 April 17, 2010;
- Gammon, M. D. Schoenberg, J. B. Ahsan, H. Risch, H. A. Vaughan, T. L. Chow, W. H. Rotterdam, H. West, A. B. Dubrow, R. Stanford, J. L. Mayne, S. T. Farrow, D. C. Niwa, S. Blot, W. J. Fraumeni, J. F., Jr. Tobacco, alcohol, and socioeconomic status and adenocarcinomas of the esophagus and gastric cardia. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1997 Sep 3; 89 (17): 1277-84.
- Garland, C. F. Gorham, E. D. Mohr, S. B. Garland, F. C. Vitamin D for cancer prevention: global perspective. Ann Epidemiol. 2009 Jul; 19 (7): 468-83.
- Giovannucci, E. Liu, Y. Rimm, E. B. Hollis, B. W. Fuchs, C. S. Stampfer, M. J. Willett, W. C. Prospective study of predictors of vitamin D status and cancer incidence and mortality in men. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006 Apr 5; 98 (7): 451-9.
- Goodwin PJ, Ennis M, Pritchard KI, Koo J, Hood N. Prognostic effects of 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in early breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 200 Aug; 27 (10): 3757-63.
- Grant, W. B. An estimate of premature cancer mortality in the U.S. due to inadequate doses of solar ultraviolet-B radiation. Cancer. 2002 Mar 15; 94 (6): 1867-75.
- Grant, W. B. The likely role of vitamin D from solar ultraviolet-B irradiance in increasing cancer survival. Anticancer Res. 2006 Jul-Aug; 26 (4A): 2605-14.
- Grant, W. B. A meta-analysis of second cancers after a diagnosis of nonmelanoma skin cancer: additional evidence that solar ultraviolet-B irradiance reduces the risk of internal cancers. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2007 Mar; 103 (3-5): 668-74.
- Grant, W. B. An ecologic study of cancer mortality rates in Spain with respect to indices of solar UVB irradiance and smoking. Int J Cancer. 2007 Mar 1; 120 (5): 1123-8.
- Grant, W. B. An ecological study of cancer mortality rates including indices for dietary iron and zinc. Anticancer Res. 2008 May-Jun; 28 (3B): 1955-63.
- Grant, W. B. A critical review of Vitamin D and Cancer: A report of the IARC Working Group. Dermatoendocrinol. 2009 Jan; 1 (1): 25-33.
- Grant, W. B. How strong is the evidence that solar ultraviolet B and vitamin D reduce the risk of cancer?: An examination using Hill’s criteria for causality. Dermatoendocrinol. 2009 Jan; 1 (1): 17-24.
- Grant, W. B. Air pollution in relation to U.S. cancer mortality rates: an ecological study; likely role of carbonaceous aerosols and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Anticancer Res. 2009 Sep; 29 (9): 3537-45.
- Grant, W. B. Effect of interval between serum draw and follow-up period on relative risk of cancer incidence with respect to 25-hydroxyvitamin D level; implications for meta-analyses and setting vitamin D guidelines. Dermato-endocrinology. 2011; 3 (3):
- Grant, W. B. An ecological study of cancer incidence and mortality rates in France with respect to latitude, an index for vitamin D production. Deramato-Endocrinology. 2010 April/May/June; 2 (2):
- Grant, W. B. Observational vs. ecological studies regarding the ultraviolet-B-vitamin D-cancer hypothesis. Am J Epidemiol. 2010 in press;
- Grant, W. B. Garland, C. F. The association of solar ultraviolet B (UVB) with reducing risk of cancer: multifactorial ecologic analysis of geographic variation in age-adjusted cancer mortality rates. Anticancer Res. 2006 Jul-Aug; 26 (4A): 2687-99.
- Helzlsouer, K. J. Overview of the Cohort Consortium Vitamin D Pooling Project of Rarer Cancers. Am J Epidemiol. 2010 Jul 1; 172 (1): 4-9.
- Hypponen, E. Power, C. Hypovitaminosis D in British adults at age 45 y: nationwide cohort study of dietary and lifestyle predictors. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Mar; 85 (3): 860-8.
- Hofmann, J. N. Yu, K. Horst, R. L. Hayes, R. B. Purdue, M. P. Long-term variation in serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration among participants in the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010 Apr; 19 (4): 927-31.
- Holmes RS, Vaughan TL. Epidemiology and pathogenesis of esophageal cancer. Semin Radiat Oncol. 2007 Jan; 17 (1): 2-9.
- Ingraham, B. A. Bragdon, B. Nohe, A. Molecular basis of the potential of vitamin D to prevent cancer. Curr Med Res Opin. 2008 Jan; 24 (1): 139-49.
- Jorde, R. Sneve, M. Hutchinson, M. Emaus, N. Figenschau, Y. Grimnes, G. Tracking of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels during 14 years in a population-based study and during 12 months in an intervention study. Am J Epidemiol. 2010 Apr 15; 171 (8): 903-8.
- Krishnan, A. V. Trump, D. L. Johnson, C. S. Feldman, D. The role of vitamin D in cancer prevention and treatment. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2010 Jun; 39 (2): 401-18, table of contents.
- Lappe, J. M. Travers-Gustafson, D. Davies, K. M. Recker, R. R. Heaney, R. P. Vitamin D and calcium supplementation reduces cancer risk: results of a randomized trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Jun; 85 (6): 1586-91.
- Launoy, G. Milan, C. Day, N. E. Pienkowski, M. P. Gignoux, M. Faivre, J. Diet and squamous-cell cancer of the oesophagus: a French multicentre case-control study. Int J Cancer. 1998 Mar 30; 76 (1): 7-12.
- Leffell, D. J. Brash, D. E. Sunlight and skin cancer. Sci Am. 1996 Jul; 275 (1): 52-3, 56-9.
- Lipworth, L. Rossi, M. McLaughlin, J. K. Negri, E. Talamini, R. Levi, F. Franceschi, S. La Vecchia, C. Dietary vitamin D and cancers of the oral cavity and esophagus. Ann Oncol. 2009 Jun 1;
- Mizoue, T. Ecological study of solar radiation and cancer mortality in Japan. Health Phys. 2004 Nov; 87 (5): 532-8.
- Ng, K. Wolpin, B. M. Meyerhardt, J. A. Wu, K. Chan, A. T. Hollis, B. W. Giovannucci, E. L. Stampfer, M. J. Willett, W. C. Fuchs, C. S. Prospective study of predictors of vitamin D status and survival in patients with colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer. 2009 Sep 15; 101 (6): 916-23.
- Peterlik, M. Grant, W. B. Cross, H. S. Calcium, vitamin D and cancer. Anticancer Res. 2009 Sep; 29 (9): 3687-98.
- Tuohimaa, P. Pukkala, E. Scelo, G. Olsen, J. H. Brewster, D. H. Hemminki, K. Tracey, E. Weiderpass, E. Kliewer, E. V. Pompe-Kirn, V. McBride, M. L. Martos, C. Chia, K. S. Tonita, J. M. Jonasson, J. G. Boffetta, P. Brennan, P. Does solar exposure, as indicated by the non-melanoma skin cancers, protect from solid cancers: vitamin D as a possible explanation. Eur J Cancer. 2007 Jul; 43 (11): 1701-12.
- Wolfgarten, E. Rosendahl, U. Nowroth, T. Leers, J. Metzger, R. Holscher, A. H. Bollschweiler, E. Coincidence of nutritional habits and esophageal cancer in Germany. Onkologie. 2001 Dec; 24 (6): 546-51.
- Zheng, S. Vuitton, L. Sheyhidin, I. Vuitton, D. A. Zhang, Y. Lu, X. Northwestern China: a place to learn more on oesophageal cancer. Part one: behavioural and environmental risk factors. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010 Aug; 22 (8): 917-25.