Those with Periodontal disease (PD) should take measures to raise their serum 25(OH)D concentrations to between 30-60 ng/mL through a combination of UVB irradiance [without sunburn] and oral intake of supplements.
There is a large body of literature suggesting that many diseases are linked to PD such as cancer12, cardiovascular disease345, diabetes6, and pneumonia7. Thus, it has been suggested that treating PD through conventional approaches, such as oral hygiene, could reduce the risk of the other diseases8.
In their review paper, Grant and Boucher9 make the case that the link between PD and most other diseases may be explained, at least in part, by low vitamin D status in those with PD since the other diseases associated with PD are also, to variable extents, vitamin D-deficiency diseases10.
Page last edited: 04 May 2011
- Fitzpatrick, S. G. Katz, J. The association between periodontal disease and cancer: a review of the literature. J Dent. 2010 Feb; 38 (2): 83-95.
- Michaud, D. S. Liu, Y. Meyer, M. Giovannucci, E. Joshipura, K. Periodontal disease, tooth loss, and cancer risk in male health professionals: a prospective cohort study. Lancet Oncol. 2008 Jun; 9 (6): 550-8.
- Blaizot, A. Vergnes, J. N. Nuwwareh, S. Amar, J. Sixou, M. Periodontal diseases and cardiovascular events: meta-analysis of observational studies. Int Dent J. 2009 Aug; 59 (4): 197-209.
- Cronin, A. Periodontal disease is a risk marker for coronary heart disease?. Evid Based Dent. 2009; 10 (1): 22.
- Humphrey, L. L. Fu, R. Buckley, D. I. Freeman, M. Helfand, M. Periodontal disease and coronary heart disease incidence: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Dec; 23 (12): 2079-86.
- Dunning, T. Periodontal disease–the overlooked diabetes complication. Nephrol Nurs J. 2009 Sep-Oct; 36 (5): 489-95; quiz 496.
- Awano, S. Ansai, T. Takata, Y. Soh, I. Akifusa, S. Hamasaki, T. Yoshida, A. Sonoki, K. Fujisawa, K. Takehara, T. Oral health and mortality risk from pneumonia in the elderly. J Dent Res. 2008 Apr; 87 (4): 334-9.
- Kinane, D. Bouchard, P. Periodontal diseases and health: Consensus Report of the Sixth European Workshop on Periodontology. J Clin Periodontol. 2008 Sep; 35 (8 Suppl): 333-7.
- Grant, W. B. Boucher, B. J. Are Hill’s criteria for causality satisfied for vitamin D and periodontal disease?. Dermatoendocrinol. 2010 January/February/March; 2 (1): 30-36.
- Holick, M. F. Vitamin D deficiency. N Engl J Med. 2007 Jul 19; 357 (3): 266-81.