This evidence summary was written by:
William B. Grant, Ph.D.
Sunlight, Nutrition, and Health Research Center (SUNARC)
P.O. Box 641603
San Francisco, CA 94164-1603, USA
Complete bibliography of research used in this summary
We found a significant body of evidence when researching the role of vitamin D in pre-eclampsia. The research we have cited in our summary is listed below, with links to PubMed abstracts and full-text for those who wish to explore further.
Page last edited: 03 May 2011
- Anton, L. Merrill, D. C. Neves, L. A. Diz, D. I. Corthorn, J. Valdes, G. Stovall, K. Gallagher, P. E. Moorefield, C. Gruver, C. Brosnihan, K. B. The uterine placental bed Renin-Angiotensin system in normal and preeclamptic pregnancy. Endocrinology. 2009 Sep; 150 (9): 4316-25.
- Baker, A. M. Haeri, S. Camargo, C. A., Jr. Espinola, J. A. Stuebe, A. M. A Nested Case-Control Study of Midgestation Vitamin D Deficiency and Risk of Severe Preeclampsia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Aug 18;
- Barrett, H. McElduff, A. Vitamin D and pregnancy: An old problem revisited. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Aug; 24 (4): 527-39.
- Berg, C. J. Mackay, A. P. Qin, C. Callaghan, W. M. Overview of maternal morbidity during hospitalization for labor and delivery in the United States: 1993-1997 and 2001-2005. Obstet Gynecol. 2009 May; 113 (5): 1075-81.
- Bodnar, L. M. Catov, J. M. Roberts, J. M. Racial/ethnic differences in the monthly variation of preeclampsia incidence. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007 Apr; 196 (4): 324 e1-5.
- Bodnar, L. M. Catov, J. M. Simhan, H. N. Holick, M. F. Powers, R. W. Roberts, J. M. Maternal vitamin D deficiency increases the risk of preeclampsia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007 Sep; 92 (9): 3517-22.
- Bodnar, L. M. Simhan, H. N. Vitamin D may be a link to black-white disparities in adverse birth outcomes. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2010 Apr; 65 (4): 273-84.
- Chung, M. Balk, E. M. Brendel, M. Ip, S. Lau, J. Lee, J. Lichtenstein, A. Patel, K. Raman, G. Tatsioni, A. Terasawa, T. Trikalinos, T. A. Vitamin D and calcium: a systematic review of health outcomes. Evid Rep Technol Assess (Full Rep). 2009 Aug; (183): 1-420.
- Colatrella, A. Loguercio, V. Mattei, L. Trappolini, M. Festa, C. Stoppo, M. Napoli, A. Hypertension in diabetic pregnancy: impact and long-term outlook. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Aug; 24 (4): 635-51.
- Forman, J. P. Williams, J. S. Fisher, N. D. Plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D and regulation of the renin-angiotensin system in humans. Hypertension. 2010 May; 55 (5): 1283-8.
- Gilbert, J. S. Nijland, M. J. Knoblich, P. Placental ischemia and cardiovascular dysfunction in preeclampsia and beyond: making the connections. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2008 Nov; 6 (10): 1367-77.
- Grant, W. B. Role of vitamin D in up-regulating VEGF and reducing the risk of pre-eclampsia. Clin Sci (Lond). 2009 Jul; 116 (12): 871.
- Grant, W. B. Low vitamin D may explain the link between preeclampsia and cardiovascular disease. Am Heart J. 2010 Mar; 159 (3): e19.
- Grant, W. B. Relation between prediagnostic serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level and incidence of breast, colorectal, and other cancers. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2010 May 12;
- Halhali, A. Tovar, A. R. Torres, N. Bourges, H. Garabedian, M. Larrea, F. Preeclampsia is associated with low circulating levels of insulin-like growth factor I and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D in maternal and umbilical cord compartments. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000 May; 85 (5): 1828-33.
- Haugen, M. Brantsaeter, A. L. Trogstad, L. Alexander, J. Roth, C. Magnus, P. Meltzer, H. M. Vitamin D supplementation and reduced risk of preeclampsia in nulliparous women. Epidemiology. 2009 Sep; 20 (5): 720-6.
- Hollis, B. W. Vitamin D requirement during pregnancy and lactation. J Bone Miner Res. 2007 Dec; 22 Suppl 2V39-44.
- Hypponen, E. Vitamin D for the prevention of preeclampsia? A hypothesis. Nutr Rev. 2005 Jul; 63 (7): 225-32.
- Hypponen, E. Hartikainen, A. L. Sovio, U. Jarvelin, M. R. Pouta, A. Does vitamin D supplementation in infancy reduce the risk of pre-eclampsia?. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2007 Sep; 61 (9): 1136-9.
- Immink, A. Scherjon, S. Wolterbeek, R. Steyn, D. W. Seasonal influence on the admittance of pre-eclampsia patients in Tygerberg Hospital. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2008; 87 (1): 36-42.
- Irminger-Finger, I. Jastrow, N. Irion, O. Preeclampsia: a danger growing in disguise. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2008; 40 (10): 1979-83.
- Ito, M. Koyama, H. Ohshige, A. Maeda, T. Yoshimura, T. Okamura, H. Prevention of preeclampsia with calcium supplementation and vitamin D3 in an antenatal protocol. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1994 Nov; 47 (2): 115-20.
- Jensen, D. M. Damm, P. Ovesen, P. Molsted-Pedersen, L. Beck-Nielsen, H. Westergaard, J. G. Moeller, M. Mathiesen, E. R. Microalbuminuria, preeclampsia, and preterm delivery in pregnant women with type 1 diabetes: results from a nationwide Danish study. Diabetes Care. 2010 Jan; 33 (1): 90-4.
- Johnson, D. D. Wagner, C. L. Hulsey, T. C. McNeil, R. B. Ebeling, M. Hollis, B. W. Vitamin D Deficiency and Insufficiency is Common during Pregnancy. Am J Perinatol. 2010 Jul 16;
- Kenny, L. C. Broadhurst, D. I. Dunn, W. Brown, M. North, R. A. McCowan, L. Roberts, C. Cooper, G. J. Kell, D. B. Baker, P. N. Robust early pregnancy prediction of later preeclampsia using metabolomic biomarkers. Hypertension. 2010 Oct; 56 (4): 741-9.
- Kuklina, E. V. Ayala, C. Callaghan, W. M. Hypertensive disorders and severe obstetric morbidity in the United States. Obstet Gynecol. 2009 Jun; 113 (6): 1299-306.
- Lewis, S. Lucas, R. M. Halliday, J. Ponsonby, A. L. Vitamin D deficiency and pregnancy: from preconception to birth. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2010 Aug; 54 (8): 1092-102.
- Lorquet, S. Pequeux, C. Munaut, C. Foidart, J. M. Aetiology and physiopathology of preeclampsia and related forms. Acta Clin Belg. 2010 Jul-Aug; 65 (4): 237-41.
- Magnu, P. Eskild, A. Seasonal variation in the occurrence of pre-eclampsia. BJOG. 2001 Nov; 108 (11): 1116-9.
- Marya, R. K. Rathee, S. Manrow, M. Effect of calcium and vitamin D supplementation on toxaemia of pregnancy. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 1987; 24 (1): 38-42.
- Mongraw-Chaffin, M. L. Cirillo, P. M. Cohn, B. A. Preeclampsia and cardiovascular disease death: prospective evidence from the child health and development studies cohort. Hypertension. 2010 Jul; 56 (1): 166-71.
- Mulligan, M. L. Felton, S. K. Riek, A. E. Bernal-Mizrachi, C. Implications of vitamin D deficiency in pregnancy and lactation. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010 May; 202 (5): 429 e1-9.
- Olsen, S. F. Secher, N. J. A possible preventive effect of low-dose fish oil on early delivery and pre-eclampsia: indications from a 50-year-old controlled trial. Br J Nutr. 1990 Nov; 64 (3): 599-609.
- Olsen, S. F. Secher, N. J. Tabor, A. Weber, T. Walker, J. J. Gluud, C. Randomised clinical trials of fish oil supplementation in high risk pregnancies. Fish Oil Trials In Pregnancy (FOTIP) Team. BJOG. 2000 Mar; 107 (3): 382-95.
- Phillips, J. K. Bernstein, I. M. Mongeon, J. A. Badger, G. J. Seasonal variation in preeclampsia based on timing of conception. Obstet Gynecol. 2004 Nov; 104 (5 Pt 1): 1015-20.
- Poon, L. C. Kametas, N. A. Valencia, C. Chelemen, T. Nicolaides, K. H. Hypertensive Disorders in Pregnancy: Screening by Systolic Diastolic and Mean Arterial Pressure at 11-13 Weeks. Hypertens Pregnancy. 2010 Sep 6;
- Powe, C. E. Seely, E. W. Rana, S. Bhan, I. Ecker, J. Karumanchi, S. A. Thadhani, R. First trimester vitamin D, vitamin D binding protein, and subsequent preeclampsia. Hypertension. 2010 Oct; 56 (4): 758-63.
- Powers, R. W. Catov, J. M. Bodnar, L. M. Gallaher, M. J. Lain, K. Y. Roberts, J. M. Evidence of endothelial dysfunction in preeclampsia and risk of adverse pregnancy outcome. Reprod Sci. 2008 Apr; 15 (4): 374-81.
- Reslan, O. M. Khalil, R. A. Molecular and vascular targets in the pathogenesis and management of the hypertension associated with preeclampsia. Cardiovasc Hematol Agents Med Chem. 2010 Oct 1; 8 (4): 204-26.
- Roberts, J. M. Pearson, G. Cutler, J. Lindheimer, M. Summary of the NHLBI Working Group on Research on Hypertension During Pregnancy. Hypertension. 2003 Mar; 41 (3): 437-45.
- Robinson, C. J. Alanis, M. C. Wagner, C. L. Hollis, B. W. Johnson, D. D. Plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in early-onset severe preeclampsia. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Oct; 203 (4): 366 e1-6.
- Romundstad, P. R. Magnussen, E. B. Smith, G. D. Vatten, L. J. Hypertension in pregnancy and later cardiovascular risk: common antecedents?. Circulation. 2010 Aug 10; 122 (6): 579-84.
- Sabetta, J. R. DePetrillo, P. Cipriani, R. J. Smardin, J. Burns, L. A. Landry, M. L. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin d and the incidence of acute viral respiratory tract infections in healthy adults. PLoS One. 2010; 5 (6): e11088.
- Shand, A. W. Nassar, N. Von Dadelszen, P. Innis, S. M. Green, T. J. Maternal vitamin D status in pregnancy and adverse pregnancy outcomes in a group at high risk for pre-eclampsia. BJOG. 2010 Dec; 117 (13): 1593-8.
- Shin, J. S. Choi, M. Y. Longtine, M. S. Nelson, D. M. Vitamin D effects on pregnancy and the placenta. Placenta. 2010 Sep 21;
- Tam, W. H. Sahota, D. S. Lau, T. K. Li, C. Y. Fung, T. Y. Seasonal variation in pre-eclamptic rate and its association with the ambient temperature and humidity in early pregnancy. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2008; 66 (1): 22-6.
- Theobald, G. W. Effect of calcium and vitamins A and D on incidence of pregnancy toxemia. Lancet. 1937 June 12, 1937; 229 (5937): 1397-1399.
- Wortelboer, E. J. Koster, M. P. Cuckle, H. S. Stoutenbeek, P. H. Schielen, P. C. Visser, G. H. First-trimester placental protein 13 and placental growth factor: markers for identification of women destined to develop early-onset pre-eclampsia. BJOG. 2010 Oct; 117 (11): 1384-9.
- Wu, C. S. Nohr, E. A. Bech, B. H. Vestergaard, M. Catov, J. M. Olsen, J. Health of children born to mothers who had preeclampsia: a population-based cohort study. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009 Sep; 201 (3): 269 e1-269 e10.